What is Yoga Synthesis?
A BLEND OF THE BEST
Yoga Synthesis brings together elements from a number of traditions in a creative and diverse approach to Hatha Yoga. We integrate a variety of yoga techniques, including dynamic movement synchronized with breath, static holding of postures emphasizing proper engagement and alignment, and supported poses. Yoga Synthesis draws inspiration from Krishnamacharya's lineage (B.K.S. Iyengar, Pattabhi Jois, and T.K.V. Desikachar), Classical Hatha Yoga Schools (Shivananda Yoga and Integral Yoga), as well as Kundalini Yoga, as taught by Yogi Bhajan. We are always open to learning, exploring and using yoga techniques from different schools and teachers.
Yoga Synthesis applies fundamental principles of body mechanics, alignment, intelligent postural sequencing, breathing techniques, internal awareness, and focused intention. Higher level classes are more dynamic, flowing and athletic (Vinyasa) using sequences of postures synchronized with mindful breathing to progressively warm and open the body. Also, more advanced classes are done in a warm room (75 to 80 degrees).
Yoga Synthesis honors and respects the different styles and methods of Hatha Yoga, acknowledging that each has something important to offer:
- Classical Hatha Yoga gives a traditional framework for the practice.
- Iyengar Yoga (and Anusara Yoga) inform the practice with precision and alignment using props and therapeutic applications.
- The Vinyasa and Krishnamacharya Breath-based styles use breath and movement synchronization in flowing sequences, either flowing back and forth between poses or linking longer series of poses that facilitate the process of deepening one's practice.
- Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga (sometimes called power yoga) links longer series of poses in a very specific sequence. Ashtanga Vinyasa is known for being a dynamic and athletic form which takes a practitioner to some of the deepest Hatha Yoga Practices.
- Kundalini Yoga is known for its fast movement and breath forms which connect the practitioner to their inner energy and vitality.